dragonfire20

Reading Room

I'll read just about anything.

The Moor's Account: A Novel
Laila Lalami
Management: A Practical Introduction
Angelo Kinicki, Brian K. Williams
Blindsprings
Kadi Fedoruk
Batman: Blind Justice
Sam Hamm, Denys Cowan, Dick Giordano
Digital Art (World of Art)
Christiane Paul
Progress: 153/358 pages
The Danish History
Saxo Grammaticus

Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game - Bill Russell, Stephen King Oh Stephen, you had me at, well, you didn't really have me with this book. One of the things that I've always enjoyed, and found the scariest, of King stories is the possibility that a woman could find herself handcuffed to a bed, at the summer house, in the off season, and the hubby keels over dead. What are all the things that could possibly happen?

The story opens with Jessie and Gerald skipping out for a romantic day at their summer house on the lake. Things are going great (not really) until Gerald has a heart attack and dies while Jessie is handcuffed to the bed. The keys, of course, are on the other side of the room. The couple took off from reality mid-week in October. It’s going to be a few days before anyone misses them, probably a few days longer than Jessie can survive.

Most of the story consists of not just what Jessie does to attempt survival but the mental spiral she descends through. Jessie has some childhood issues that must be relived in detail. Sometimes I felt that it wasn’t really necessary to travel back to Jessie’s summers on Dark Score Lake with her family but, in King fashion, it all tied together nicely at the end.

A lot of things happen in that small bedroom throughout Jessie’s ordeal. The longer Jessie is stuck the more her grip on reality is loosened and even I was left wondering if there was really a man standing in the shadows of the room. I did have about a 25 page white knuckle stretch towards the end but it didn’t last long enough to take me to the end of the book. I felt the ending was a little drawn out and I actually put the book down so I could sleep with only seven pages remaining.