dragonfire20

Reading Room

I'll read just about anything.

The Moor's Account: A Novel
Laila Lalami
Management: A Practical Introduction
Angelo Kinicki, Brian K. Williams
Blindsprings
Kadi Fedoruk
Batman: Blind Justice
Sam Hamm, Denys Cowan, Dick Giordano
Digital Art (World of Art)
Christiane Paul
Progress: 153/358 pages
The Danish History
Saxo Grammaticus

Gone Girl: A Novel

Gone Girl: A Novel - Gillian Flynn I was stumbling along with Red Rising by Pierce Brown so I decided to take a break and try something else. So, I picked up Gone Girl and 30 pages in I accidentally skimmed this article on Book Riot (major spoiler). Multitasking at its finest lead me to only pick up on one of the spoilers in the article and it didn’t do any major ruining of the book. At least, I don’t think it did.

I love this book. It is a well crafted Did He Kill His Wife story. Almost all of the characters are worthy of the readers dislike. Except for Go. She is the only character in the book that I liked at the beginning and still liked at the end.

The story, on the surface, is simple enough: Nick and Amy meet, fall in love, get married, and live mostly happily for a few years. When the economy tanks and both loose their jobs, Nick moves his wife from the big city to a small town in a middle state. She’s not happy about it. Their marriage begins to stumble and one day Amy disappears and all eyes turn to Nick.

The narrative switches from present day search for Amy to Amy’s diary entries that seem to tell a side of the marriage that no one outside the marital home could know.

But maybe they don’t. I can’t really tell you because spoilers.

I hate this book. If you clicked on the link above to the Book Riot article (seriously, DON’T, unless you’ve already read Gone Girl) just know that I agree 100% with the article. I hate what it represents. And, I think the ending was a little extreme and not plausible.