dragonfire20

Reading Room

I'll read just about anything.

The Moor's Account: A Novel
Laila Lalami
Management: A Practical Introduction
Angelo Kinicki, Brian K. Williams
Blindsprings
Kadi Fedoruk
Batman: Blind Justice
Sam Hamm, Denys Cowan, Dick Giordano
Digital Art (World of Art)
Christiane Paul
Progress: 153/358 pages
The Danish History
Saxo Grammaticus

Death to the Brothers Grimm

Death to the Brothers Grimm - Emory B. Pueschel, Kate Jonez, Lee Widener, John Edward Lawson, Eckhard Gerdes, Jessica McHugh, Jess Gulbranson, M.L. Roos, Garrett Cook, Jeremy C. Shipp, Kirk Jones, Crysa Leflar One line from the introduction to this collection, possibly, ruined the entire thing for me. “Destroy the Brothers Grimm.” The editor wanted “new stories that twisted the sterilized and cutely mouse-eared folktales of our time and returned them to darker places…” This implied to me that the editor has never read the original Brothers Grimm folktales; therefore, he might not understand the concept of a folktale.

Regardless, the authors for this collection set out to destroy the Brothers Grimm and they succeeded, so much so, that some of the original folktales are not recognizable at all. I did not find any of the stories that I read twisted or horrific. At best, I would say a few were a little weird.

Full disclosure, I received an advance copy of the book from one of the authors specifically to review it. I put off writing a review for a bit because I like the author that gave it to me and I am really disappointed in what I read in this collection.

Also, I did not read the entire book. I broke-up with it about halfway through it. None of the stories that I read could hold my attention. I frequently found myself thinking of other things I could be reading and then I would have to reread passages to figure out what I had missed. In the end I decided it was not worth it so I have set it aside. Maybe I will try again one day but I doubt it.